|| American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES)
POSITION TITLE: Director of Marketing and Communications
LOCATION: Longmont, Colorado
POSITION REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer
INITIAL SALARY RANGE: $65,000 - $80,000
The American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES), a national Native-led nonprofit organization with offices in Denver and Albuquerque, is focused on substantially increasing the representation of American Indians, Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians, Pacific Islanders, First Nations, and other indigenous peoples of North America in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) studies and careers. Founded in 1977, with a rapidly expanding membership of more than 4,000 individual members, AISES currently sustains 189 chartered college and university chapters, 15 professional chapters, and 158 affiliated K-12 schools supporting Native students in the critically needed disciplines of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM). AISES has awarded over $10.3 million in academic scholarships to American Indian STEM students. Through scholarships and internships, workforce development and career resources, national and regional conferences, science fairs, leadership development and other STEM focused programming, AISES is the leader in STEM opportunity for American Indians.
The Director of Marketing and Communications works with the organization’s leadership team to devise and implement comprehensive and integrated marketing and communications strategies for AISES. The position requires extensive communications with staff, board, members, and other key stakeholders in advancement of AISES’ mission. The position is responsible for overseeing all activities, developing strategies, and evaluating and implementing policies in three primary areas: Media, Advertising, and Publications.
Primary Job Duties:
- Maintaining and enhancing the public perception and visibility of AISES through the provision of effective marketing and communications.
- Developing and implementing a creative and effective integrated media, advertising, and marketing strategies.
- Working proactively and consistently with the media to elevate the public profile of the organization.
- Supervising the marketing and communications team on a day-to-day basis, ensuring it provides a professional and proactive service to all internal and external stakeholders.
- Developing/writing content for AISES newsletters and announcements.
- Creating content for program announcements, scholarship opportunities, internships opportunities, and events.
- Overseeing the development of all press releases: writing content; locating and selecting photos; obtaining relevant quotes and statistics; and obtaining permissions from involved agencies, corporations, tribes, institutions, and other partners.
- Working closely with publishing team on publication creative decisions
- Actively developing ancillary products and new media to enhance and supplement existing core products
- Managing the relationships with external PR and marketing agencies.
- Providing analysis of the effectiveness of AISES’ marketing and communications work
- Preparing and overseeing the production of marketing and communications collateral including, but not limited to: annual reports, program reports, publications, program services, and research reports.
- Managing all website content to ensure it is up-to-date and developing new content when needed.
- Answering inquiries from individuals, journalists, and other organizations as the central point of contact for all communications and marketing related inquiries.
- Speaking in public at presentations, press conferences, interviews, or meetings.
- Assisting in the development and implementation of special events.
- Increasing ad sales by generating new ideas to improve print advertising – both editorially and through advertising.
- Working with National Sales Director to determine how best to promote scheduled publications to increase advertising sales.
- Designing and implementing strategies to improve and increase both print and digital advertising.
- Determining new and innovative opportunities to include social media opportunities as part of advertising.
- Creating marketing email blasts to promote print and digital advertising opportunities.
- Monitoring like organizations to stay informed and keep AISES up-to-speed on current and future trends.
- Creating sales materials to be used on a daily basis such as media kits, one sheets, and special package options.
- Initiating and overseeing the creation of marketing materials to support advertising sales efforts.
Our Ideal Candidate Will:
- Coordinate and/or lead multiple projects simultaneously and to manage publishing process from concept to launch to distribution and to marketing/promotion.
- Liaise effectively with senior management personnel, clients, and suppliers.
- Understand and integrate new and emerging communications technology for publications, including multimedia production.
- Learn quickly, demonstrate critical thinking, and make situation-appropriate decisions using sound judgment.
- Be a creative and dynamic self-starter, comfortable with taking initiative and able to work against deadlines with minimum supervision.
- Work collegially under extreme deadline pressure and handle multiple work assignments.
- Establish programs and criteria to support company goals, marshal appropriate resources, schedule, implement and report.
- Be comfortable with making group presentations and effectively and articulately persuade various audiences.
- Articulate ideas, strategies, and recommendations in both written and oral communications.
- Be proactive in defining new or different solutions for clients, projects, and problems that go beyond the status quo and recognize the need for unique or modified approaches to achieve results
- Develop positive cooperative relationships by sharing information, demonstrate good emotional judgment when dealing with team members and clients in all situations. Adapt easily to changes in priorities and/or processes and recognize the validity of opposing viewpoints; accept new responsibilities with a positive, can-do attitude.
- Demonstrate a desire for self-development and continuous learning; volunteer for new tasks, committees, and responsibilities; demonstrate an interest in learning more than just his/her job; proactively seek ways to grow revenue and/or cut costs to help improve business profitability.
- Demonstrate the highest level of personal and professional standards of behavior; earn trust and respect from others.
- Convey a sense of humor, even in difficult circumstances; contribute to daily company life with a positive attitude; be participatory and engaged.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Marketing, or a related field; Master’s Degree in an appropriate discipline preferred.
- Five years or more of management/supervisory and client relations experience, preferably in a communications or publishing related environment,
- Five years or more demonstrated progressively responsible experience in media relations or marketing communications.
- Five years or more of technical copy-editing experience and business writing.
Other Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated high level of proficiency in MS Office applications for design and publications production.
- Demonstrated basic proficiency of other packages (e.g., Adobe InDesign/Photoshop / Illustrator/ Acrobat, scanning and text recognition, multimedia applications – e.g. Adobe Dreamweaver /Premier, etc.) desirable.
- Experience with Salesforce a plus.
- An appropriate combination of education and experience in journalism.
To be considered for this position, please provide:
- Cover letter
- Resume or CV
- Three writing samples
- Five professional references
- Salary requirements
Please email to: Debbie Derryberry, Executive Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- This position is open until filled.